Saturday, March 6, 2010

American Foursquare Remodel 14 - Parlor

The parlor was the first room painted - even though it's almost the last story told. There is so much that still needs to be done in this room and the whole house - the decorative details that makes a house a home - but it's getting there slowly. Very slowly it seems.

Here are the before pictures. The beautiful lincrusta frieze was hardly visible, painted the same color as the walls.

 
  
  
  


I can't rightly call these "after" pictures; more accurately, they are 'tweens, with more to follow as I unpack all those fragiles still safely boxed, and put the room together.

  

  A view of the picture window before the new wood trim.
  


The beautiful new trim that matches the original casings elsewhere in the house. An earlier blog discusses the trim work.


I replaced the outlet covers with wood ones, then painted them to match the walls.
 


A few decorative details added. I resist taking a full room view, though - still too many misplaced furniture pieces, boxes, ladders, tools around, ha!


This is a statue of Our Lady of Fatima. My parents brought it back with them from their visit to Fatima, Portugal, many years ago (I'd have to really strain to remember the year, it was that long ago). She always had a lot of religious meaning to my parents - Our Lady of Fatima, not the statue! And I was raised in that tradition. But more than that, it's a beautiful sculpture as well. At the time my parents died, neither my brother nor I had room for such a large piece. We were going to donate her to a church, but I never got around to doing that. 

Now that I'm in the house and living with her *smile*, I can't just give her away. I figure I've acquired and am willing to display lots of beautiful women statues (like the Guiseppe Armani on the mantel) without giving it any more thought than perfect placement. So why not this one, too? Because it's religious? Absurd. So this beautiful piece of Portuguese religious art has a special place on the window ledge in my new parlor. : )


Link to the latest pics (September 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, opinions, critiques, and rants are welcome, but play nice. Inappropriately vulgar language or personal attacks against others will be deleted. Who decides what's inappropriate? Your sweet blog hostess, that's who.